WEEKE LOCAL HISTORY
Public Houses 2
The Old Red Deer
The Old Red Deer pub was built in late 1881 and early 1882 on the corner of Elm road and Stockbridge Road (HRO 67M92W/5/1). It was built for John Wakeford who at the time of the 1881 census was the publican at the Roebuck further up the hill on the Stockbridge Road. It appears that the pub land extended to the junction of Stockbridge Road and Western Road. Why John Wakeford decided to buy land and build a pub/hotel so close to the Roebuck where he was publican is unclear. Perhaps he wanted the freehold of the Roebuck but it was not available so he built his own pub or he wanted rooms to rent as well as the pub premises. The new pub was closer to the railway that must have been an attractive source of customers. In 1889 - 1890 the property was extended to include stables accessed from Elm Road (HRO W/C11/1ADD/14). The pub was in use until as a hotel until 1916 when it became just a pub. The pub closed in 1983 and was purchased by Michael Brentnall, a local builder. The pub premises were converted into two business premises (Yates, 2007 p 105). They are now occupied by NFU Mutual and Cartridge Plus.
The Albion pub was built between 1861 and 1871 since it first appears in the 1871 census for Weeke. It is located at the junction of the Stockbridge road and Andover road. It is now the closest pub on the Winchester side to the railway station. The pub continues to this day and is now a Punch Tavern.
The Eagle Hotel was built in c1848 and first appears in the 1851 census for Weeke. The Eagle was located at the junction of Swan Lane and Andover road. This was close to the Roman cemetery on this side of the city. The pub closed in 2000 and was converted and extended to provide flats now called Eagle Court. During early work a roman burial was found in a lead coffin. It is thought the burial was of a high ranking young woman.
The Gladstone Arms was named in honour of William Ewart Gladstone who was prime minister four occasions between 1868 and 1894. The Gladstone Street was built as Gladstone Terrace and appears firstly in the 1871 census for Weeke. The Gladstone Arms was a purpose built pub on the corner of Gladstone Terrace and Sussex Street (the corner away from the modern Record Office).
The pub had unusual coloured tiles on the front and was owned by Eldridge Pope. The pub was closed in 1967 and was demolished in 1973 along with the houses in that street with whole of Ashley Terrace for redevelopment of the area including the modern Gladstone Street car park (Yates, 2007 p 105).
South Western Inn
This pub was originally called the Railway Refreshment Inn and first appears in the 1871 census for Weeke and so was built between 1861 and 1871. It was located on Station Hill and was the closest pub to the station. Its name changed to the South Western Inn in 1920 (Yates, 2006). The site remained as a pub until 1992 when it closed and is now the Register Office for Births, Deaths and Marriages.
The Railway Tavern
The Railway Tavern was built on Station Hill between 1861 and 1871, when it appeared in the census for Weeke. It was located near to the station and was the second closest pub to the station after the South Western Inn . On the front wall were the words “Eldridge Pope & Co’s Huntsman Ales & Stout”. It was positioned on the gravelled area forming part of the modern Record Office site. It was closed and demolished in the 1970s to make way for the building of the Hampshire Record Office which was eventually opened in 1993.
The Carfax Hotel sat on the corner of Sussex Street and Station Approach. Earlier it was Saunders, a cycle shop. This closed in 1918 and became the Carfax hotel. Sharp's Temperance Hotel occupied numbers 1 and 2 Station Approach and when Sharp's closed in 1929 Carfax expanded into its premises. The name Carfax is generated from the French word "carrefours" meaning the meeting of the roads. The location of the Carfax Hotel was at the meeting of six roads. These are Sussex St, Station Approach, Andover Road, Swan Lane, City Road and Stockbridge Road (Yates, 2007). The hotel was closed in the 1960s and was used for some time by the then Winchester Teacher Training College to house students. When this role ended the site was cleared to widen Sussex St and form the corner of the modern Hampshire Record Office.
The Nags Head was a pub built as part of the development of Sussex Street. In 1861 census there was a ‘beer house’ in Sussex street and this was possibly the pub shown in 1871 as the nags head. The pub had an access from Westgate Lane. This was a narrow lane running parallel and between the modern Sussex street and Tower street.
There was, apparently, a large finger sign painted on the wall saying “To the Tap”. The pub was closed in 1931 and eventually was demolished as part of the major redevelopment that produced the City Council Headquarters and the Sussex street multi-storey car park. This development involved the complete removal of Westgate Lane(Yates, 2007).
The Volunteer pub was built as the end of the terrace of houses in North View and it forms the corner with Middle Road. This is just on the edge of the parish of Weeke. The terrace of houses first appers in the 1861 census so must have been built between 1851 and 1861. It is not clear when it was named the Volunteer it may have been when originally built. It remained a working pub until the late 1960s and was converted to a private home in the early 1970s. Painted on the side wall is "The volunter Inn" and over the entrance is the name "Marstons", the successor to the Winchester Brewery (Yates, 2007).
The Fulflood Arms is a similar approach to the Volunteer in that it is at the end of a terrace of houses. It is on the corner of Cheriton Road and Western Road. It does not appear in the 1871 census but was completed probably late in that year. The fascia of the pub consists of dark green tiles with the words "Winchester Brewery Co. Ltd" and "The Fulflood Arms" embossed on it. This is very similar to the design on the Gladstone Arms. It is now a Greene King pub (Yates, 2007).
This pub was built as the Weeke Hotel at the entrance of Burnett Close from Stockbridge Road next to Weeke Garage. The Hotel was built to serve the new Weeke Council Estate being built in the late 1950s. The pub was held by Whitbreads and was converted to a pub called Blightys. This refers to the song that describes England as "blighty". It was decorated in period of the Second World War including posters for films of the period. Later it was the coverted into a conventional pub called Chimneys. This closed in 2004 and was demolished. The Site is awaiting Planning Permission and at present there are unapproved plans for an Aldi supermarket to be built on the site (Yates, 2007).
The March Hare was built in the late 1960s on the spine road Priors Dean Road built for the Harestock Estate. It is on the corner of Priors Dean Road and Buriton Road, next to the small parade of shops built to serve the Estate. The pub was originally operated by Courage but is now belongs to Enterprise Inns (Yates, 2007).
Release 1.0 last update 02/09/08